Connecting and disconnecting our services

Connecting and disconnecting our services

We connect drinking water, recycled water, sewerage and water for fire services.

If you are moving into a property that has existing water and sewerage, you are already connected to our network, so you won’t need to apply for a connection. Your conveyancer will advise us of the change of ownership and you can begin using the services as soon as you move in. We will start billing you from the date you purchase the property.


We deliver water to customers all over South Australia, from Ceduna through to Port Augusta, the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands, across to the Riverland and down to Mount Gambier, and most places in between. We work hard to ensure your water is high quality, safe to drink and always available.


We remove sewerage from homes and businesses across the state. Water recycling is a critical issue and minimising wastewater salinity is an important objective for us and a consideration when designing sewer mains and connections.

Recycled water

We offer some suburbs a recycled water supply that has been treated at a wastewater treatment plant to a standard that is safe for a range of household purposes; such as flushing toilets, watering gardens, and washing cars. Recycled water is delivered through a separate network using purple pipes. If your property is supplied with recycled water, you will have a purple meter in addition to your drinking water meter.

Fire connection

A fire connection is a water connection for the sole purpose of fire fighting. When applying to connect a fire service, you must provide us with the results of a recent (within the last 6 months) flow test and network analysis to help us assess the availability of the water supply and any special conditions that may be applicable.

Metered hydrant

A metered hydrant is a portable, temporary, short-term connection to our drinking water service. They look similar to a tanker with an attached portable meter to measure the water use. They are not used as an alternative to supply drinking water to a property or as a connection to provide a temporary service. A metered hydrant can be hired under a formal agreement with us and a customer for a period no longer than three years.

Other services

We offer other connection services including network analysis and flow tests to check if there is sufficient water supply and pressure when considering new fire connections.

Disconnecting a service

If you no longer require a water connection, you can apply to have it disconnected.

A disconnection stops the flow of water into property and stop the discharge of sewerage from it. Disconnections can only be requested by the landowner, and we will only disconnect your service if fulfilling your request or dealing with an emergency.

Fire service disconnections require quotations upon application for disconnecting.

A pre-laid recycled water connection cannot be disconnected but, if requested, we can lock the service off onsite. Should you wish to remove an existing recycled water meter, you can make an application and pay to remove the meter and install a service lock.

We will not disconnect a property where it is known, or suspected, that there are people living lawfully or unlawfully in the premises.

If we do disconnect your water services and your property still adjoins a water and/or sewer main, the relevant supply charge are still payable by you.

Standard and non standard connections

When assessing an application for connections from our network to a property we consider the following conditions

  • construction conditions and obstructions: existing services or objects in the construction path, trees, rock, or requirements for traffic management etc.
  • the length and size of the connection
  • the depth of the connection

If difficult construction conditions exist the connection will be deemed non-standard and you may be required to pay all of the additional construction costs. The cost that you will be required to pay will be set out in a fixed quotation provided in our offer to connect. Any financial quote provide will be valid for 60 calendar days form the date of issue.

For more information, read our standard and non standard connections fact sheet.

When to submit an application

Before you apply for your connection, use our connections estimator map to estimate

  • if a connection service is available in your area
  • where a connection point may exist on your property.
  • the distance between your property and the available service.

If you are building a house in a new development, check that your builder has applied for a new water and sewerage connection. If it is not part of your contract you will need to apply for the new connection/s.

If you require a single meter, separate meter/s or a manifold with multiple meters within a community title or strata title development, you will need to complete a Community title agreement form to submit with your online application.

Properties with additional requirements

Depending on the connection you apply for, you may need to provide additional supporting information. This information helps us to assess your connection more accurately and design a solution that meets both Australian standards and your requirements. Review the following forms to see if you need to include them with your application.

Properties on Community Title

A Community Title agreement is required for single meter, separate meter/s or a manifold with multiple water meters within a community or strata title development. You will need to attach this completed form when you submit your online connection application.

Community Title agreement form

Fire connections

When applying for a fire service connection we need to check water supply and pressure and check the flow volume and pressure of water from a fire plug or street hydrant. When applying for a fire service the results of a Network Analysis and Flow Test must be submitted.

Complete Network Analysis application
Complete Flow Test application

Special characteristics

When assessing your application, we may identify conditions that have an impact on your connection. These are known as special characteristics and if we identify these, we will notify you. If you choose to proceed, your service will be subject to the Special characteristics schedule in addition to our Standard customer contract.

What to expect during the construction process

Application received

When we receive your application, we will assign a case manager to look after your application. They can be contacted via email if you have any questions about your project along the way.

Investigation underway

We will inspect the site and infrastructure requirements to determine if we can complete your application. When assessing your application, we consider the type of connection you need and if any difficult construction conditions exist. After receiving a completed application we will endeavour to assess and invoice you within 20 business days.

Application assessed

Once your application is assessed, we will send you an invoice, design drawings and approval letter for the work required. Invoices are valid for 60 days and we will not commence your project until the invoice is paid in full.

Project underway

After you have paid your invoice, we will construct and activate your service. While we aim to complete your project within 35 business days, every connection project and site is different. There are various factors outside of our control that can impact cost and delivery timeframes.

We are committed to delivering connection services in accordance with our regulatory service standards. After you have paid your invoice we will use our best endeavours to construct/activate your service within the following timeframes to meet regulatory service standards:
  • a standard water connection within 25 business days
  • a non-standard water connection within 35 business days
  • a standard sewerage connection within 30 business days
  • a non-standard sewerage connection within 50 business days
  • Connections that require extension or upgrade of the supply network may take longer in the construction phase because they are dependent on extension or upgrade works separate to the connection works. We will detail the expected construction timeframe in your approval letter.

    Project complete

    We will let you know when your project is complete and service is connected.

    At this time, you may need to engage a qualified plumber to connect your internal pipework.


    The following fact sheets will help you understand our connection requirements:

    Frequently asked questions

    Where is recycled water available?

    We currently manage the supply of recycled water to the following four areas:

    • Adelaide's parklands
    • Bowden
    • Adelaide’s southern suburbs: supplied to homes in Seaford Meadows and Seaford Heights
    • Mawson Lakes
    • Virginia’s market gardeners: the Virginia Pipeline Scheme uses recycled water from the Bolivar Wastewater Treatment Plant to supply growers in the Virginia area north of Adelaide.

    Use the Connections Estimator Map to check if a connection might be available in your area, or contact us to confirm if we manage the recycled water.

    Find out more about recycled water here

    What size meter do I need?

    Connection types and sizes vary depending on your property, where the connection is or will be constructed and the what the connection will be used for. Water connection size options are 20mm, 25mm, 40mm, 50mm and larger than 50mm, subject to approval.

    Service options for wastewater connection sizes are 100mm, 150mm and larger than 150mm. The size of the connection will be determined by the number of fixture units within the property. The size for a standard house is 100mm. 150mm and larger are subject to approval.

    More information about the available connection sizes can be found in our Water metered connection and Sewerage connection fact sheets.

    What happens if you are sub-dividing a property?

    When sub-dividing an existing property, or for community title divisions, we will automatically assess your land division for new connections after your division has been lodged with Plan SA. Find out more about subdivisions.

    What is augmentation?

    Augmentation occurs when mains are upgraded to service whole areas of land development (not a single development).

    An augmentation area is the area where our network capacity has been extended, and generally occurs in country townships, while some are in fringe metropolitan suburbs. Generally, augmentation is done to support future needs of an area, should it be developed in future.

    Augmentation charges are applied to determine an appropriate developer charge for augmentation of our water and wastewater network in areas where it is likely that multiple customers will benefit.

    An augmentation charge may also be applied where there are a number of existing properties not currently connected to our services.

    Fine out more

    Explore fees, charges and timelines

    There is a lot to consider when connecting to one of our services. Every application is different and, depending on the type of connection you have applied for, the connection design and the construction conditions of the site, timeframes and costs will vary.

    Find out more about our fees and charges.

    • Major faults

    • Underway

    • Polkinghorns Rd
    • Arthurton
    • 18/06/2020
    • Water Supply On
    • 18/06/2020 03:05 PM - We are attending to an incident in Arthurton with no interruption to the water supply. The safety of our crews and customers comes first, and we always aim to minimise inconvenience by restoring services as quickly as we can. Reference Number WO: 07505663.
    • See all major faults

    • Scheduled works

    • Underway
    • Spruance Rd
    • Elizabeth East
    • 11/06/2021
    • Temporary Supply Interruption
    • Estimated start time and water supply off: 15/06/2021 09:00 AM
      Estimated restore time and water supply back on: 15/06/2021 04:00 PM

      We’re improving your services and undertaking maintenance work in Elizabeth East. Sometimes our crews need to temporarily interrupt the water supply to our customers and/or manage traffic while they are working. Temporary traffic management may remain in place until reinstatement of the impacted road is complete. We always aim to minimise inconvenience by restoring services as safely and quickly as we can.

    • See all scheduled works